A Peak at My Week - dive bombing into the deep end of the pool | Mentoring in the Middle

A Peak at My Week - dive bombing into the deep end of the pool

I haven't been a very active blogger lately, since getting ready to move has taken up most of my free time.  So I thought I'd link up with Jennifer at Mrs. Laffin's Laughings to take a look at what's in store for this upcoming week.
We're moving into a new theme in Reading and it's one the kids really enjoy.  It's about unsolved mysteries and we'll be reading about Amelia Earhart (her disappearance is still being studied, although researchers might be on to something.)  This is one of my favorite books about her because it presents her honestly and explains how, as a woman, she was so ahead of her times.  And that's something most girls today just take for granted.  

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about one of my classes, which has some weaker students and also a number of English language learners in it.  There's another teacher who helps me and I feel like I've been underutilizing her.  So, as we talked last week, we're going to "divebomb into the deep end of the pool" this week.  I decided to break my class up into three groups and have them rotate through three different activities- one with her (story), one with me (grammar or word work) and one independently - either word work or independent reading.  I want to give these kiddos more attention than I can in a whole group.  I'm excited to see what happens!

Do you regularly do that with your students?  What are the pros and cons?  

Have a great week!

3 comments

  1. I love Amelia Earhart! Such a trailblazer for her time.

    Thanks for linking up!
    Jennifer
    Mrs. Laffin's Laughings

    ReplyDelete
  2. Student led conferences! I think that's an awesome and amazing idea! I LOVE when my students come to the conferences, and I encourage the parents to bring their child, but it happens very rarely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We actually plan for our students to lead the conferences; it's something we've done for 4 or 5 years now. The kids do most of the talking, and they're amazingly honest and accurate. It really lets their parents see them taking ownership for their learning. Of course we're there if their parents have any questions. And parents can request a "traditional" conference, but very few of them do.

      Delete