Is it important to teach grammar? | Mentoring in the Middle

Is it important to teach grammar?

word wall, grammar, spelling
Yes, yes, oh dear heavens, yes!  And not just because I'm old.  But because, in our interest to get kids writing about interesting things, we've gotten sloppy about correcting grammatical mistakes.

Let me rephrase that,  I've gotten sloppy.

Because there are so many.
Correct their spelling and grammar whenever they write?
How often before we feel like we're destroying their little souls?

And yet.
And yet, there has to be a line in the sand.

I will not tolerate "Where you at?"
Sorry.
I know that's becoming part of our language.  I know that language changes regularly and that "sick" means something different today than it did 20 years ago.

I still can't tolerate "Where you at?"

I made up a list of NO EXCUSES words and phrases for my classroom.  You can see the product in my store on TpT.





And if you want to pin this for later, please use this Pinterest-friendly pin!


No comments

Post a Comment