Friday, August 28, 2015

Linking Up with Five for Friday



Did you have a whole list of things you planned to blog about once you returned to school?  I did.  Sure!  I'll be able to do that!  Oh. My. Word.  How is it possible that I forget, each year, how tiring it is that first week of school?

So I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching, but only coming up with three for Friday this week!
 I get such pleasure out of making sure my books are all organized for students to check out.  I love seeing their faces the first time they walk into the room!  I should have taken an "after" shot.  It doesn't look quite this neat!




I got this idea for a first day activity from Sarah, at Education Electrification 
and it sounded like so much fun.  It was a great way to get kids talking, and it required not only that they listened to each other, but that they thought outside the box.  The challenge was to create the tallest structure using school supplies: five sheets of paper, a ruler, three paperclips, and a yard of tape.

This was a wonderful way to get kids talking and exploring together!
This morning, I just happened to glance through the newspaper, and I saw an article about Red Thread photography sessions, studio shots of parents with their adopted children.  One of the pictures was of a student of mine with her adoptive mother.  The name "red thread" comes from a Chinese proverb that says that a red thread links you to the people you are destined to meet.  I brought the article to school, got permission from the student to talk about her story, and then showed them a book called Red Thread Sisters, which talks about this very thing.  I had just read the book this summer.  Now, I'm wondering if it should be the read-aloud for the class this student is in, since she hasn't read it.  I'll talk to her about that.

That's about it for this week, since I only took pictures on the first day!

Here's hoping that your school year is off to a good start, and for those of you yet to start, that you have a great beginning to your year!




1 comment:

  1. I've done a similar activity with straws and tape...the kids love it!

    ReplyDelete