Friday, January 8, 2016

Five for Friday

It's been a while since I linked up with Doodlebugs Teaching for Five for Friday, so even though it's Friday evening, I thought I'd rejoin the blogging world by sharing some things that have been going on in my corner of the world.
 We spent part of two days working on homonyms: there, their, they're.  It was time.  They need to know this!  I created task cards and my students came up with an additional, fun way to use them.  We did some additional review work, so hopefully, they have this one down.
Sarah Wiggins created this a couple of years ago for the TpT Winter/Christmas freebie book, and I have used it for the past couple of years.  It's a fun way for students to read a book over the winter break.  Each marshmallow is worth, in my class, 30 minutes of reading time.  Students cut out the marshmallow and glue it in the hot chocolate mug after they've completed the activity.  

What a great way to get students reading.  We always celebrate with hot chocolate and a "Curl Up with a Book and Read Day, which was today!  And of course, I forgot to take pictures!

The bulletin board outside my room with some of their mugs.  The top part says, "It's Cold Out" but it partly covered up by the scarf, hat, and mittens.
Some of my students are finishing up their reading of True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle. I am really pleased with the quality of their work and the enthusiasm they had for the book.
I was invited by the high school Quiz Bowl team to come watch them in the second round of the Brain Busters tournament at our local TV station.  They won the match!  I coached two of them (I'm the middle school coach) and taught three of the four.  I felt like a proud mama!
A friend gave me this amaryllis bulb for my birthday at the end of October.  This is what it looked like on Christmas morning, and two weeks later, it's still going strong!  

Have a great weekend!






2 comments:

  1. I love the Winter Break Challenge ideas! I downloaded her product and used her ideas to issue challenges to my kiddos every day using Remind. They messaged me back with photos of them completing the challenge. It was awesome! Without those challenge ideas, I would've been stuck! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea! I never thought to use Remind to do that. Clever!

    ReplyDelete