Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Show and Tell Linky

I'm linking up with Stephanie from Forever in 5th Grade for her new Show and Tell Tuesday, a fun linky to share what's going on in school, at home, and everywhere in between.

I am accelerating a group of students who just whiz through all forms of reading assessment.  Their first task was to read True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle and respond to some probing questions with their group. 
For their final project they had to write a letter in first person, as Charlotte, to the Boston Herald newspaper, explaining the choices they had made.  

I was so impressed with what they created.  They stayed in "character" and based their choices on many obvious and subtle references from the book.  Well done by them!  BTW, if you're interested in this novel study, you can find it here.

This was a fun board I created after seeing something similar in a library at another school district. My students keep track of how many books they finish all year, and we count the books on one of the last days of school.  When I suggested this board, they were so excited!  We didn't have too many sea creatures on our school Cricut machine, but I found turtles, sea horses, and dragonflies (ok, it's a stretch!)  The lowest category that has turtles in it is 51-75 books. Love those readers!



Have you ever used Quizizz?  The kids love it! You create a quiz (or find one) and they work individually, although it shows them everyone else's place in the standings as they race against each other.  A great way to review anything from math facts to vocabulary!
My husband and I are planning a short getaway next month to Charleston, South Carolina.  Looking forward to visiting this city!  What should we see or do while we're there?  



10 comments:

  1. I loved when I visited Charleston! Such history! Three things stand out in my mind... the carriage tour through old Charleston (well worth the time), a visit to the Market (literally everything can be found for sale), and the women who weave the sea grass baskets (I cherish my basket). Have a wonderful time!

    Angela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tips, Angela. We'll be sure to check them out!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I have never heard of Quizzez. I pinned it so I wouldn't forget to check it out. At professional development on Monday I learned about so many websites that I want to try out, I need a whole weekend to experiment with everything! Thanks for linking up!

    Stephanie
    Forever in Fifth Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never heard of Quizizz either! I will have to check it out! Thanks!

    -Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the books read tracking board :) Quizizz sounds fun! Enjoy your trip to Charlotte.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the book bulletin board. What a great way to keep track of their reading.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Quizz sounds like fun. I use Study Stacks which include quizzes and tests as well as games using the information that you enter into
    studystacks.com Thanks for sharing.
    Beti

    ReplyDelete
  8. The True Confessions of Charlotte Doyle is one of my all time favorite books! I read it out loud to my 5th-graders every year :)

    ReplyDelete