Tuesday, March 29, 2016

Creating a product in PowerPoint with Landscape and Portrait slides

When I first started making products for my students years ago, I always made them in Word.  And I fought the program, trying to move things around.  These days, I've gotten so used to working in PowerPoint that when I learn I can't do something in the program, I'm a little surprised.                                                                                                                                                                                            I started working on task cards for the homonyms, there, their, and they're, a few months ago.  One of my challenges was that I'd created the cards in landscape. I printed them out on card stock and laminated them to use at school and the kids had a ton of fun playing games to quiz each other.
                                                     
But when I wanted to create a worksheet as a quick individual assessment, I realized that I'd have to keep it in landscape style.  PowerPoint doesn't let you shift slides from landscape to portrait in the same file.  I could have created two different files, which would have been fine for me, but I wanted to post this product to TpT, so I wanted it to be one file.
I wasn't creating this in PowerPoint to be a slide presentation, I was always planning this to be printed out on cardstock or regular paper.  So I could create two different PowerPoints, one in landscape and one in portrait.  I would need to merge them only when I turned my product from a PowerPoint into a pdf.

I created my cover and task cards as one file in landscape. Then I created my worksheets and credits page and saved that as a separate file, and then saved them both as pdfs. I used smallpdf  to merge the two files.  It was pretty easy!  You download your first file, then add additional files.  Presto, chango!  Within seconds, you have one file, combining both portrait and landscape files into one.




I hope that helps you in some way!



No comments:

Post a Comment