Monday, June 6, 2016

Monday Made It is Back! YAY!

I love that Tara from 4th Grade Frolics is bringing back her Monday Made It linky, because it's chock full of good ideas.  And, if you're like me, once you see some of these good ideas, you start making them, and one thing leads to another.... I am the epitome of "If You Give a Mouse a Cookie" when it comes to creating.  Unfortunately, unlike the mouse, most of my projects end up not quite finished!  Anyone else out there like that?

So, this is a different kind of "made it."  
I made it to the end of the year!  While I have loved each year of teaching, this one was just a bit more challenging on several levels, none of them major.  But just enough to make me appreciate the first day of summer vacation a little more! 


And this one is only a "partially" made it, but it'll get done in the next few weeks.  At the end of the year, I always like to do something around astronomy and reading, because there are so many hands-on activities around those.  This year, I decided to change things up a little, and found some really cool projects about our solar system on Pinterest.  

That I had to change, of course. I decided to spend a couple of days teaching kids about our solar system, then the Milky Way, and the observable universe.  And then, just when they felt their minds couldn't handle all these huge distances, they learned that there are about 2,000 exoplanets (outside of our solar system) that are considered habitable.  And they were going to learn about them.

I will have to admit that I "dive-bombed" into this project, and there are a number of things that will be changed next time I do this, including some questions on this worksheet.  Who knew that you couldn't answer some of these questions if the exoplanet you were researching was recently discovered.  Like two months ago?  WHAT?!  Oh, and it's only 600 light years away.  The kids got so used to me saying, "Multiply that by 58, followed by 11 zeroes" that it became a mantra in the room, to change light years into "human miles."

This was the only paper students worked on.  Everything else was paperless, including their final project, which they made using Publisher, Adobe Spark, PowerPoint, Prezi, or even their own websites.  It was an amazing process and I loved how much the students got into it!  They claimed it as one of their favorite projects all year.  {insert big teacher smile}
And, true to form today, this is yet another kind of "made it!"

My son, our youngest, graduated from college, and is on his way to young adulthood.  So excited to see where life takes him!  And almost equally as excited to not be paying tuition any more after 12 years!

That's it for this week.  Link up with Tara and let those creative ideas start flowing!


3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your son's graduation!!! Thanks for linking up;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go on all those accomplishments you "made"! Put your feet up and enjoy some well earned relaxation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your son's graduation!!! Now put your feet up and enjoy!!

    Dee

    ReplyDelete