Saturday, July 16, 2016

New Year, New Me...Tips for Building Your TpT Store from #TpTOrlando2016


I couldn't imagine my brain hurting more than it already did, after attending sessions at the TpT conference in Orlando.  So much to think about!  So much to analyze!  Oh my word, so, soo much to do!

I am so grateful for the folks who took time away from families and work to share solid, constructive ideas so that others, like me, can grow.  I am equally grateful to the many "regular" teachers who shared a smile, a comment, a place at the table, a website, an idea, and friendship.

I went to the conference alone, not knowing a single person.  I came away with new friends, new colleagues and some great memories.  I mean, Rachel Lynette loved my new glasses so much she took a picture of them!  I love that woman!  And not just because we both have curly hair :)  She's got a great sense of humor and she knows what she's talking about.

I heard that sure, success takes a bit of luck.  And maybe an original idea that grows in popularity.  But mostly, it's about establishing yourself as an expert in your field, and then just working harder than the next person.  I heard that over and over again.  Enough that it made me think.

So, here are my suggestions for myself - and for you:
  • Make a plan for what you're going to do this month  
  • Break it down by week and even by day, if you wish
  • Figure out how many hours you have to give to get to your goal

When you sit down to work:
  • Set the timer on your phone for how long you planned for
  • Put your phone on airplane mode
  • If you can't stop playing with your phone, put it behind you somewhere 

  • Spend time building your social media presence, but not more than 20%
  • Focus on just a few sites - you can't do them all
  • Network with other bloggers and TpTers
That's where I'm starting.  How about you?  What suggestions do you have?  How are you planning to step it up a bit?

6 comments:

  1. Good advice...can I tattoo this on my forehead? I feel so overwhelmed... I can't keep up with my ideas. Thanks for this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's easy to feel overwhelmed. I love the first quote in Erin Cobb's planner from Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.: "if you can't fly, then run, if you can't run, then walk, if you can't walk, then crawl....." My motto!

      Delete
    2. Great advice because I've added a bunch of Facebook sites to my page and have already discovered that I have too many..

      Delete
  2. First, it was great meeting you at the conference!!! My BIG takeaway is BE A TREND SETTER NOT A FOLLOWER...now if I can only come up with something trendy...that might be the deal breaker???? This is a great post. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! Sometimes it feels like all the good ideas are already taken! :) We'll get there!

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much for the great tips. I need to work on not playing with my phone lol. I will start really working on my blog more, nerdymusicmama.com after I read your post. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete