Tuesday, July 5, 2016

People of Courage (a novel study), Where Complaining Takes Me (formative assessments), and the AT!



I have always been intrigued by people who are willing to stand up for their beliefs, especially when it puts them in harms way.   Teaching students about the world around them means that we need to be careful not to judge other cultures.  That's hard when we are called upon to explain why bad things sometimes happen.  

Thankfully, there are always people to hold up as examples of those who turn bad into good.  After reading about Malala Yousafzai, I knew I had to create novel study for some of my students to learn about this young woman who’s hardly older than they are, who has brought to light some of the inequalities that exist in education for girls in Pakistan.


This was eye-opening for the groups of students who read this book, and they admitted it was one of the best books they'd read all year.  There were lots of good discussions going on when I would drop in on their conversations!  


I'm willingly taking an online Differentiation course with our district.  You know how you get frustrated because you have to take classes in things you think you already do well?  That's how I was.  But I have to admit, the book we're reading has a lot of good information in it, especially practical ways to adjust and adapt.  So I've stopped complaining and gotten to work!

One of the projects I worked on for my classroom had to do with formative assessments.  I only had to create one for the online class, but I like to have a bunch at my fingertips, because I hate wanting to find out where kids are and not having the tools I need.

And so, voila!

My husband took a job last Fall that is very demanding.  Never again will I say a bad word about the Department of Education in our state, when I see the hours that he puts in!  So we try to be intentional about getting away from the house and doing things we love. One of them is hiking, something we don't get to do nearly as much as we'd like.  Saturday, we hiked part of the Appalachian Trail, about an hour from our house.  It was a gorgeous day and the woods were so peaceful!  Just what we needed! 

I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July weekend! 



No comments:

Post a Comment