I Wish My Teacher Knew Activity and Why You Should Do It | Mentoring in the Middle

I Wish My Teacher Knew Activity and Why You Should Do It

When I first read about what Kyle Schwartz, a third grade teacher from Denver, had done with her students a few years back, I was amazed at its simplicity.  And at how much she learned.  I read about her in the middle of last year, and planned to try this at the beginning of this year.

And then I forgot. So I was grateful when my brother sent me this New York Times article that reminded me I'd wanted to do this.  I gave it to my students the second week of school, explaining that I'd given them a Reading survey, but this was just asking something they felt was important for me to know about them.  It could be about school or home, or just something they felt would help me know them better.

There were a lot of "I love to read" or "I really don't like to read" and a bunch of "I really like to play sports!"

But then there were these....
 This made me sad for a little eleven-year old who feels this strongly about school and especially about tests.  Is this something we've done?  Or was this child always a worrier?

I wondered about this one.  How would this child respond to a less than stellar grade on a test?  Who knows, maybe fine.  But I'll watch, perhaps a little more carefully than I might have, otherwise.
So glad!

I wanted to say, "Oh honey, so many kids aren't.  And that's okay.  We'll get there.  Together."  

I'm grateful that they shared some part of themselves with me.  It helped me get to know them a little better.  And I hope they felt heard.

If you'd like to try this, I created a freebie "I wish my teacher knew" on TpT.  Click on the picture up at the top or on the link to get it.  I hope you try it and learn a little more about those children sitting in your classrooms this week.

Have a great rest of your week!

No comments

Post a Comment