Tutorial: Using Keywords to Promote Your Blog posts | Mentoring in the Middle

Tutorial: Using Keywords to Promote Your Blog posts

keywords,search engine optimization, SEO, blog posts

Keywords.  Keyword stuffing.  Search engine optimization.  The importance of using keywords. There is a ton of stuff out there on this topic!  Early on, I figured I was too busy creating new products to worry about what they were or why I should even think about them.  But this summer, I've been reading and listening to folks as they talk about this and I've come to realize it's not that hard and it doesn't take that much time to do.

And it's very, very valuable.  It takes a little bit of thought, and then it's pretty easy to do.

This is for beginners, and I hope what you read here will help put your products and blog posts in front of more people.  So, let's start at the very beginning (the very best place to start.) Sorry, I come from a family that bursts into song when any random synapse starts firing.

What are Key words?  
Think for a moment about who purchases your products.  What does that person look like?  For me, my products are primarily ELA, for 4th-8th graders.  So my teacher would most likely be an upper elementary or middle school teacher.  Now, what words would that teacher be using if he or she was looking for say, one of my novel studies?  Lit circle?  Novel studies? Books for small groups?  Those are the words I want to make sure to include in my key word search.
Where do you insert key words?keywords, search engine optimization, SEO, blog postsi
Everytime you insert a picture into a blog post, you want to link that picture to key words.  If you ask people to pin your blog post, you don't just want the title to be "search-worthy" but also the pictures. And it's easy to do.  

Insert the picture where you want it and click on Properties.  That will bring up this screen.

keywords, search engine optimization, SEO, blog posts
In the alt text box, type in the key words you want to use.  You don't need to write a sentence, just write the words, separated by commas or /.  Don't overdo it - that's "keyword stuffing" and can result in bad stuff happening.  Two, three, or four words or phrases should be more than enough.

Anywhere else?
One final place, and that's in your blog post settings.  I use blogger, so I don't know how it works on other platforms, but I assume you can find it in your settings.
When you click on this, it opens a box that lets you type.  Once again, keep it simple.  Think of what someone would search for if they were looking for your blog post.

And that will get you started!  If you've found other tips that work for you, please share.  I'm truly at the beginning of this learning curve!



Follow my blog with Bloglovin








18 comments

  1. GASP! You are my newest superhero! Thank you! I had no idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was listening to podcast about this on my way to the beach. Got so into it, I missed my turnoff!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the great advice!! I always did it in labels! Now I will try it your way! Thanks again for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, I will be updating my properties today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is awesome! Thanks so much for sharing. Now, I'm off to link words to old pictures. I never knew.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This was a really informative post!! I have a question, though. What are the "bad things" that might happen if you type in too many words?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure but I've heard (third or fourth-hand) that posts or pins are taken down. Also that keyword stuffing actually works to push you down further in the ratings.

      Delete
  7. Marion....you go girl...I just learned so much from this post. I had no idea. I knew a few things,but not all of this...Have to go...got to get started on those key words for ALL my posts!!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These are great tips! Thank you so much for this awesome article. Now to add some keywords to my pics. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I knew to add keywords but I thought renaming the picture was enough. Thanks for this, going in to add to my posts now!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm paying someone to do the SEO for my blog and she adds more than just a couple of words for alt text. I know other people do the same. Just wondering where you found this information. Many thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not absolutely sure because I'm on vacation right now and don't have my notes in front of me, but I think I heard it in one of Kate Ahl's podcasts for her business, Simple Pin Media.

      Delete