Five Healthy Recipes to get you Out of the House in the Morning | Mentoring in the Middle

Five Healthy Recipes to get you Out of the House in the Morning

Let's be clear.  Breakfast is an important meal.  As teachers, if we don't get off to a good start, food-wise, it can have an impact on our interactions with our students.  Hangry is not a pretty place!  For me personally, I need protein to jump-start my day.  I can't do cereal-in-a-bowl-with-milk and expect it to last beyond an hour or so.

You know your body and what it needs.  If, like me, you need something substantive in the mornings, here are some suggestions that can be prepared the evening before and be ready to grab-and-go in the mornings.



These Breakfast Berry Bars are the most labor-intensive recipe in this post, and by that I mean you have to bake them.  But they easily makes a week's worth of breakfasts, and they last in the fridge for a while if you don't want to eat them every day.  They are just sweet enough to be almost dessert-like, but filled with so much healthy nutrition that there's no guilt in eating them.  
This Apple Cinnamon Hot Cereal with nuts is another filling breakfast that takes a few minutes to prepare.  I usually make this on Sunday afternoons so I have it once or twice during the week.  The nuts hold up pretty well to being moistened, and I don't mind when they start to get a little softer.  Cinnamon in this one makes the kitchen smell so good!
These No-Bake Apricot Bars take a few minutes to pull together, but the effort is worth the wait!  Although I will eat these if I'm running out the door, I especially like these as a late afternoon snack if I've got to hold off on dinner for a while.

Do you like to make overnight oatmeal?  This German Chocolate  recipe is perfect.  I usually make two of these at the same time, to have an extra one for another day.
Are you picking up on the chocolate theme here?  The recipe for this Chocolate Peanut Butter Chia Seed pudding is one I modify to keep it easy.  First, I substitute a nut butter for the peanut butter, and secondly, I make these as overnight puddings.  Which means I throw everything into a jar, shake it up, and grab it in the morning.

I hope these recipes give you some places to start as you look for healthy breakfast options on your way to school!










No comments

Post a Comment