Top 7 Reasons to use BOOM cards in your Classroom | Mentoring in the Middle

Top 7 Reasons to use BOOM cards in your Classroom

I was introduced to BOOM cards two years ago.  Since that time, I've heard rave reviews from primary teachers about how much their kids love using them and how they provide good practice and review.

I wondered if they'd have the same effect on 6th graders.  I started playing around on the website and by the time I tested them out on my students, I had three decks of my own.

Yeah.  Not even close to enough!

To be honest, I was a bit surprised at how much my students loved them.  But they provide a real value and they're fun!

Why You Should Be Using BOOM Cards For Learning
  • As an activating strategy or even to pretest students to get an idea of where you need to start teaching
  • As a review and to see if what you've taught has "stuck.
  • To differentiate instruction for students who need additional time with a skill
  • To push students who need an extra challenge
  • For quick finishers
  • Because using them is fun!  Who doesn't want to win badges?
  • It's easy to set up your class (for older kids, they signed in themselves)
If you've never heard of BOOM cards, here's the link to their website.  A basic membership which gives you five of your own decks to use for up to 80 students in three classes.  That's $9.00 a year.  At $19, you're at power membership, and can have 150 students and unlimited decks.  Decks are the online cards that students interact with.  As an example, my decks have between 24-32 cards each.

If you're interested in creating your own decks, the site has excellent video tutorials showing you how to create them in PowerPoint or on their site.

If you're interested in trying some out, you can search the site or take a look at any of the three (I'll have more soon!) in my TpT store.

     



No comments

Post a Comment